Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day

To everyone who has fought for our country, I say thank you.  I will never really understand what it means but I understand that every family has probably had or has someone who has served in our military at one time or another.

My greatgrandfather was in WW1.  I have his tags, which I wear on occasion.  I have his diaries...one entry struck me...he wrote that while sitting under a tree, he opened a can of peaches and relished how amazing they tasted (he didn't use those words of course) but it was so simple yet something he wrote home about. 

My father served in the Army only for a short time and never saw war.  My uncle, his brother, served in VietNam.  He was a helicopter gunner.  His plane was shot down and he suffered loss of one eye, missing fingers and years of health issues. 

Thank you for the jobs done to keep our country open for me to sit here and write about what I feel and not worry about who will edit me or whether or not I will be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment